Re: gEDA-user: Zoom bug on Windows

On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 21:23:50 +0200
Kai-Martin Knaak <knaak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> DJ Delorie wrote:
>
> > Try this snapshot:
> >
> > ftp://ftp.delorie.com/pub/geda-windows/snapshots/pcb-20110916.exe
>
> I tried in a virtual box with winXP. Now, I better understand
> Bobs problem. On the first call of the application, I got a
> dialog that asked which application to use for
> "ListLibraryContents.sh". The windows noob in me guessed, that
> this is supposed to be the pcb binary. So I happily navigated to
> the snapshot dir and selected pcb. This was a terrible mistake.
> Whenever I try to start PCB, it enters a loop and literally
> spawns more and more copies of PCB until all memory is used.
> These opies are not easy to kill, because they don't react fast
> enough. WinXP insists to ask wether it should sende a report to
> microoft for every single kill...
>
> Unfortunately, a remove and reinstall does not remove this
> problem. The faulty setting must resides somewhere in the windows
> configs. How I can get rid of them? And what should be the
> correct setting in the first place?

It sounds like 'bash' needs to be selected as the program to run
"ListLibraryContents.sh", although I think pcb should explicitly
be calling a Bourne shell to run the script.  See src/main.c around
lines 1129-1130:

  SSET (LibraryContentsCommand, "ListLibraryContents.sh '%p' '%f'",
	"lib-contents-command", "Command to query the contents of the library"),

You should be able to delete or edit the file association Windows
made for *.sh files.  E.g., on Windows XP try
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307859>.  You can also use regedit
to manually edit the registry if you need to.

Regards,
Colin