[gftp] Help. 2.0.17 won't save edited file on remote

Slack 9.1
gftp 2.0.17

I compiled 2.0.17 from source. Works fine except that when I right-click EDIT
on a remote file, the editor (nedit) pops up with the file but any changes
are not transfered back to the host. They are saved in /tmp with a mungled
name. With the past version I would get a dialogue box that would pop up
asking if I want to save (i.e. upload) the file. I get nothing now. Any
ideas? Should I go back to 2.0.16?

Thanks,

Al