From: owner-gftp-users@xxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-gftp-users@xxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Zsolt Barat
Sent: Monday, November 27, 2006 5:26 PM
To: gftp-users@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [gftp] gftp slow over ssh

Rob Wilkens schrieb:
> Just to give some sort of answer, the ftp protocol in general seems to be
> slow compared to scp.  I noticed the same thing when I use the Zend PHP
IDE
> to ftp files back and forth.  SCP is, it seems, much faster.  I wish I had
> the time to implement SCP in gftp (if it's not already there), because I
had
> some opportunity to become familiar with the source code to gftp already
> back around April-May of this year when I fixed a small bug,
unfortunately,
> or fortunately, I picked up a paying (unrelated) project which is keeping
me
> busy.

i don't understand this. does gftp uses ftp protocol tunneled over ssh?
as far what i can see at the first glance is that gftp forks ssh with
following command:
ssh -e none -l user -p xxxx domain.com -s sftp

i tried also sftp command-line client to connect to my server, it seems
to be slightly slower but not as slow as the gftp.
i get download speeds of 900kbps-1Mbps with openssh sftp.
see also this for scp/sftp comparison in winscp:
http://winscp.net/eng/docs/protocols#protocol_comparison
i would suggest to implement sftp correctly at first, cause with sftp
you would have features like: transfer resume, append to end of file
which wouldn't be possible with scp.

btw. i'm using 2.0.18-r4 on gentoo.

whats the status with gftp-anyway? there seems to be no progress since
several months. who maintains it?

best

zsolt

> -Rob