Re: Some suggestions from Laurent Hivon

On 9/27/06, Laurent HIVON <laurent.hivon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi

I am a new user of GraphThing and a french math teacher as well.  So,
you know now that english language is not my favorite game ;=)

Hello Laurent!

- more icons in the tool bar to access to Labels, Weights, Flow, Find,
  Properties, Statistics.... more easily

I'm not quite sure what you mean; are the menus not accessible enough?

- to change fonts (size, colors...) of labels, weights and Flows
- to change the background color,

Added to TODO list.

- to moove the whole graph on the age (using the Ctrl key for example)

You're right - it's a bit clumsy to try to move the graph around after a Select-All.

- to export a graph into a gif or png file for example,

Yes, that would be nice. Using ImageMagick's 'convert' program is probably a suitable substitute in the mean time.

- to display the adjency matrix like a "real matrix" and to export it
  into a gif or png file for example,

That's probably outside GraphThing's scope, and would be better handled by LaTeX or some such typesetting system.

- to display the whole statistics into a separate window,
- to use non integer weights,

Both would be useful, yes. Added to the TODO list, as well as negative edge weights.

- to see the "probabilistic matrix" as we say in french of the graph.
  This matrix is nearly the same than the adjency one, but its
  coefficients are the weights of the edges,
- to calculate A×M^n where M is the "probabilistic matrix", n is an
  integer, A the line matrix called "initial state matrix" in french,
-  and n an integer

The latest version of GraphThing already does all this!

- to get more than one edge from a vertex to another,
- to draw an edge from a vertex to the same one,

These will be quite tricky with the current design of GraphThing; they are on the TODO list, though.

- to run the Dijkstra algorithm step by step on the graph and the
  results table

That would be a nice, educational tool. I'll have to think about it.

Some problems :
- the french accents of course,

Yes, all this internationalisation stuff seems rather tricky to get right.

- A problem is after you changed the labels of the vertexes, when you
  display the degree sequence, you cannot know which vertex is which,

Sure, but that's just how a degree sequence is defined. There's no labelling involved.

- when the exponent of the adjency matrix is high, it seems they are
  some problems, because the values become negative

Yeah, that's probably integer overflow - it's a bug that I need to fix.

Last but not least, and I am sorry to propose this : It would be so nice
to run GraphThink on line as a java applet.  Something like :

www.geogebra.at

Sorry, I can't see that happening any time soon!

I prepare a small french documentation for french pupils who wants to
use GraphThink at home.

Would it be possible to publish this on the web at some point? I'm sure other French users might find it helpful!

Thank you very much for your work

And thank you greatly for your detailed feedback!

Dave.

--
"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords
 is no basis for a system of government."