Re: File Extensions

> > Hi,
> >
> > I was just wondering if there is a way...either in KDE or CLI to designate
> > extensions with programs.  For example, I have a bunch of tcl files.  I am
> > really starting to get sick of having to write 'wish tik.tcl'.  Is there any
> > way to make it so that I can force all files with tcl extensions to be opened
> > by wish?  That is another useability for many Win users.
> >

> About data types like gifs, jpeg, pngs you use Mime types to tell
> what interpreter to use witth  it.
>
> But for programs the Linux kernel looks at the two first chars in your
> file and if they are #! then it uses the remainder of the line as the
> full path to the interpreter:  That is
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> will use the shell
>
> #!/usr/bin/perl
>
> for Perl programs
>
> and
>
> #!/usr/bin/wish
>
> will use the tcl/tk interpreter
>
> Remember that it uses absolute names abd that the kernel does not know
> about directories where to look (the PATH variable is a shell not
> kernel concept).

I forgot to say that you have to amke the file exceutable.  Then you
get automatic call of the wish interpreter.

In kernel 2.2 it will be possible to make the kernel automatically
call image viewers, word processors and so on without need of Mime
Types.  This means you will get this feature with whatever UI you are
using?

--
			Jean Francois Martinez

http://www.independence.seul.org