Re: rsync? (linux download troubles)

On Thu, 06 Apr 2000, S. Lockwood wrote:
> > > Have you tried wget? I've used it to mirror gigs worth of files
> > > (text and binary) from a not so reliable ftp site that always
> > > seemed to be maxed out on guest logins. Quite a robust program,
> > > if you ask me.
> > >
> > > /cog
> >
> > Yes, but it did not releive the problem. I used it under Win98 with
> > no problem. This has always lead me to believe that it is a *inx
> > related thing.
>
> Are you positively *sure* you're using the right modem init string
> under linux? All the people I have known who had really odd download
> problems under linux but not windows have tracked it down to a modem
> init problem...

I remember your previous sugestions when I mentioned this problem
before. I went on a search of modem init strings. I tried many
different init strings and never found one that solved the problem. I
just got tired of looking. I eventually concluded that the init string
would not solve the problem. It is very possible that I just didn't
find the correct one.

I'm still not sure why the init string would allow me to download maybe
100 - 150 files and then all of the sudden stop at ONE file after
retrieving a tiny amount of it's data. If I only knew which files would
cause a problem a head of time, I could tell the mirror script to skip
them. But that's a lot of monitoring to adjust the script only to have
future changes affect addtional files. Seems like way to much work:-P

--
R.G. Mayhue