Re: An idea for a CGI

On 19 Aug 1998 jfm2@club-internet.fr wrote:

> William Merril has had the idea we could get an "upgrade for RedHat
> 5.1" by using a CGI script who would build a big tgz by basing on the
> contents of a file (or the links in a directory) more important
> Independence packages, so a person with RH 5.1 (we would need much
> more for 5.0) could see Independence in action.

we'd need to investigate how big the tgz would be. We'd need to avoid
creating more than one tgz simoultaneously, of course. The one prob I see
with a CGI script is that it would require the user to download via a web
browser, which is a bad idea with such a huge file. Also, someone has to
write the program.

A different  approach worth considering  is to just have a directory
which links to all the right files. The user just needs to glob all the
files (or grab the directory).

cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi <elflord@pegasus.rutgers.edu>