From: Iglhaut, Eberhard [mailto:eberhard.iglhaut@sap-ag.de]
Sent: 26 August 1999 14:09
To: independence-l@independence.seul.org
Subject: RE: DRAFT: End-User Application Comparisons

Roman wrote:
> Great for kids and teachers as are graphing tools so put them
> in. You'd be
> surprised just what "end users" may want to use. People have
> many and varied
> hobbies/interests that sometimes require special-case
> activities. One shouldn't
> exclude software under the belief that it's not a mainstream
> activity. One of
> the strengths of Linux after all is that it can and does
> provide for the
> minority.

> Having much experience working with people who have little
> computing skills I
> would say that single-task tools prove very popular. New
> computing users don't
> actually want huge packages with lots of features. Often they
> prefer something
> which just allows them to do a particular task - especially
> if it's something
> they do regularly. If they just want to print a little graph
> of something for
> example, they don't want to use a spreadsheet - just a quick
> and simple graphing
> program. Single-task tools, rather than making things more
> complicated actually
> make the learning curve a great deal easier.
>
> Roman.

I agree with you. So there is a problem: It's not possible to
put everything in and keep it simple the same time.

I don't like the idea of a distribution that includes everything.
I'd prefer a distribution with a more or less "naked" operating
system, which provides folders, a desktop, drivers for external
devices and perhaps a simple letter-writing tool.

But, then, it should be extremely simple for end-users to install
additional software. So maybe there should be a webbrowser (KDE
includes this in its KFM, doesn't it?) and web sites that
allow to download and install programs easily.
And why not let the users pack their own distribution? You
should be able to burn your favorite applications on a CD and
give them to your buddy.

That should be as easy as passing some text documents.

Gruß, Eberhard