CUPS' Niche (was: Re: Jetadmin)

JF Martinez wrote:

> > > Bottom line:  CUPS was far easier to use and configure than LPRng, even
> > > with LPRng's gigantic help file/documentation.  I would recommend the
> > > inclusion of CUPS (GPL'd), with a suitable graphical/menu-driven
> > > front-end.
> > >

> However what is your opininion about CUPS's ecological niche?  The
> feature I have noticed is ability to print anywhere in the world seems
> to me more for IBM-class companies that have dozens of highly trained
> sysadmins on call.
>
> Area there other features who could be of interest for iundvidauls or
> organizations who don't have a full time sysadmin?

On second thought, I don't think that CUPS is necessarily right for
Indy.  I think that you are right in your assessment of it being an
enterprise class approach.  My enthusiasm for CUPS is that, after a fair
bit of time mucking about, trying to get printing working (at work), I
was finally able to make it happen.  I would suggest that someone else,
with a different printing environment and more experience with Linux,
try it out in addition.

Brian Wiens