Re: kernel

On Wed, 09 Feb 2000, JF Martinez wrote:

> > Hopefully by the next Indy release we will have XFree86-4.0 and KDE 2.0.
> > They both should be ready by then. I also intend to start work soon on
> > the Indesktop project. I would like to experiment with MGR for this.
> > Sounds interesting.
> >

> AFAIK MGR is dead now.  I used it in my Minix times.  It is lean, nice
> and fast but doesn't have much appluications or hardware support.

Exactly what I need. Lean, nice and fast. The application and hardware
support can be worked on. I do not intend to build a replacement for
X-Window or start the next GGI or Berlin project,  but a middle level
between X and console. Just a very useful interface that will hope fully
run on any console natively. I am still not sure MGR will do that, but
the doc's I have read lead me to believe that it can.

It would be very helpful (I think anyway) to have that layer between raw
console and X.  We could give the user a choice, a (bash, etc) shell or
MGR on the console.

I think it would be an interesting concept, but you have used it Jean,
not I. Do you believe MGR could (should) be used in this way? Or would I
be wasting my time?

R.G. Mayhue