target system for libc5

Is out-of-the-box RedHat 4.2 supposed to be the target system for the libc-5
section of the archive?

If so, I've noticed a potential problem.
RedHat 4.2 ships with libc.so.5.3.12, which is not what Roger has been using.
Mostly it seems to be compatible, but there was a problem in using the gtk
package - libgdk library uses the _IO_getc symbol which is not present until
version 5.4 . I'm not sure how many (if any) of the other packages are
affected.

What's our policy when something like that comes up? Do we put in more
restrictive requires and point users to a more recent libarary version,
or do we just use old libraries for building as necessary, as long as
they're not too broken?

                              S. Lockwood
                         sjl@zorbas.ece.ucsb.edu
                    http://folletts.ece.ucsb.edu/~sjl