Compaq Integrated card support

   I now have the worst supported, and most popular, Compaq business
machine running correctly.  <DeskPro 4000 5xxx>however, it was a bear to
get up, and I was wondering if we can do anything about this...  It had
trouble with both the NIC and the video.

   Starting with the NIC, it is a TI TLAN TNETE100PCE.  It is
unsupported in the boot disks, so there is no way to do a network setup.
 It is <somewhat> supported in Caldera's boot disks, but I still could
not get them to work.  It was only by installing the OS, and going back
and doing a "insmod tlan duplex=2", and then running netconf.  I am
going to test on another machine to see if netconf by itself will work,
as I am trying to keep this as GUI as possible.  I can at least make a
nice pretty web page showing how to do this.
   This is not a new problem...  If you check dejanews, querying on
"tlan" you will get pages of people who have trouble with this card.  It
is workable, but not easy.  If we can make it easy...

   On to the Vid card.  A CL GD5446 with 4 meg.  However, it will NOT
run 1024x768 in 24 bit.  16 bit is fine...  Still don't know why.  Tried
16 bit on a lark, and it just worked.  Again, this is poorly documented,
but I can fix that.

   Anyway, the system is now up, and has a 2.5 gig /home partition.  It
is also on a 576k link to the net.  Do we want a dev server?  Keeping in
mind, that it will also be a test box until I can get another one up
here.  :-)  I now have 2 different Compaqs running Inde with the gamut
of install difficulty.  I like this distribution a lot!  I also have a
BUNCH of people wanting me to mail them CD's.  We are looking at 2
months before the next update, correct?

			Lee