Re: Newbie Idea

On Wed, 5 May 1999, Bud Beckman wrote:

[ snip  ]

I think we already mention Alien on our site.

It pretty much works as advertised.

Having said that, there are some
serious compatibility issues with using binaries from other distros:
different init configurations, different shared libs,  different
features in the package managers ( so info in the RPM is lost ) ,
different layout of system files.

The smart thing for the Debian or slackware user to do would be to use our
RPM spec files to build their own binaries. Hardly satisfactory for end
users. Thank god most end users get RH/Caldera/SuSE these days ( as oppose
to the dark days when they all too often got another distribution. )

-- Donovan