[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Fwd: RPM info
Rpm 3.0.1 is now available at
The final part of the release (*.4.2, *.5.2, *.6.0) indicates the version
of Red Hat Linux for which the package has been built.
This version is also available through anonymous cvs:
cvs -d :pserver:email@example.com:/cvs/devel login
(no password, just carriage return)
cvs -d :pserver:firstname.lastname@example.org:/cvs/devel get rpm
If you do install rpm-3.0 on a system that uses rpm-2.5.x, you
will have to do
because the database format has changed. You will also have to do
rpm --rebuilddb if you go back to rpm-2.5.x.
Here's the list of CHANGES in rpm-3.0.1 (mostly bug fixes):
- fix: %verifyscript resurrected. (Shing-Gene Yung).
- fix: % before non-alphabetic non-macro special now passed unscathed.
- fix: noarch header gets initialized differently.
- fix: $2 to triggerpostun scripts was wrong
- fix: --querybypkg in man page should be --filesbypkg
- fix: optflags not implicitly set to canonical arch value.
- fix: prefer pgp2.6.3 over pgp5 if both are installed.
- make sure that rpm-the-package auto-requires glibc.
- add rpmputtext/rpmgettext to rpm package.
- fix: non-apache servers need "GET ... HTTP/1.0" by the book.
- fix: %doc wrongly inherits lang from last entry in %files.
- resurrect toplevel tar target.
- spec file removal separate from source removal (Shing-Gene Yung).
- add rpm prefix to MD5 routines to avoid name conflict on solaris.
- fix: resurrect -Vp, -Vf and -Vg functionality.
- colesce query and verify modes.
- better cpio error message if package contains missing hard links.
- fix: shared file not skipped when removed.
- fix: conversion script left off leading underscores.
- another strtok bites the dust.
- fix: prevent return code wrap during packagage checking/resigning.
- permit multiple %lang(xx) markers on elements in %files.
- permit %lang(xx,yy,zz) constructs -- 2 more dead strtoks.
- fix: --prefix should work properly during package installs.
- add librpmbuild.a to the file list.
Here are 2 common FAQ for experienced users of rpm:
1) --rcfile works differently.
Old way: rpm --rcfile whatever
New way: rpm --rcfile /usr/lib/rpm/rpmrc:whatever
2) topdir (and other rpmrc configurables) work differently.
macrofiles: /usr/lib/rpm/macros: ... :~/.rpmmacros
Jeff Johnson ARS N3NPQ
Chapel Hill, NC