What will be in first snapshot

After afight of titanic proportions with Cups and Samba 2.2 :-) I am
seeing the moment whereb I will be able to release Indy's first
snapshot.

Respective to RedHat:

-Linux will go nowhere as long as it will be perceived as a boring
server.   I sometimes joke that Linux will only succeed the day you can
use it for impressing girls so you get Blender (with tutorials) and an
improved Gimp (with manual).  The idea is that it is better to have
fewer applications but good ones and being able to exploit all their
possibilities than heaps of mediocreware and of software you use at 10%
of their possibilities due to lack of doc.   Now once you have created
your graphic masterpiece you will want to print it and that is why I
have made an effort on adding thet best printing system  available and
into having better drivers than any other distro.

-Indy will integrate better in Windows dominated companies thanks to
Samba 2.2 (far easier to manage) and to a couple applications who make
far more palatble the use of Linux as a workstation in Windows networks.

-Several miscellanea like Emacspeak, and some applications (in more
modern versions) I am rescuing from PowerTools since IMHO they should be
part of distrib.   One of them is Postfix who (for now) replaces
sendmail.   Once we change installer we will be able to make them
coexist but now it is not possible to have both so I  take the best.

-Cruft is removed.  We will not have horror stories from people who got
trapped in TWM aaccidentally.

-I have kept the best for the end: Indy will use the XFS filessytem.
With ext2 it is a distinct possibility an untimely powerdown will
corrupt the filesystem so badly the automatic fack will  be unable to
repair it and it wiill require manual intervention.    After that user
gets some files in lost+found he will have to put back in their
places.   Thiis is totally unacceptable.
XFS partitions don't become corrupted after a crash or a powerdown.
Recovery is instantaneous.   Other distributions have picked ReiserFS
but XFS is significantly faster and has sinificant features lacking from
Reiser.  One of them os ACLs who would make Linux more secure and would
make Samba easier  to integrate in NT networks.   Reiser has been around
for longer in Linux but XFS is more  mature.   However due to the short
time XFS has been around in Linux I don't recommend its use in mission
critical systems until several months from now.   For now I will simply
hack SGI's CD so install will require three CDs with SGI's being half
empty.    And you will get SGI's logos.   We,will see later for a real
merge with rest of Indy, for logos and for texts mentionning RedHat and
SGI.

                                                        JFM