Re: kexpress

> On Tue, 05 Oct 1999, you wrote:
> >>
> >Because /dev/scd1 is the CD ROM device.  The writer device is /dev/sg1
> >and you should not use it directly but through one of the CD writer
> >devices for Linux: it happens that Linux does not drive CD writing
> >directly, instead it provides a channel allowing a program to deal
> >with a CD writer.
> >			Jean Francois Martinez
> >
> Thanks again Jean,
>
> That mean I should put the dev/sg1 in fstab file so it can be used as the CDRW?
>
> Or let the application take care of it when an how it is mounted?

CDRW are not mounted.  They are copied "raw" by the application much
like when you do a "tar cvf /dev/fd0 myfile".  By the way you will
notice that /dev/sg1 is a character device and such are not mountable.

If the kernel handled the CDwriters directly you could do: "cp
myiso.img /dev/sg1".  But the kernel doesn't handle them so you really
need an application knowing about the internals of CD writers.  Never
use a standard Unix command like cp or dd for writing on a CDRW.

> You know none of this stuff is in the CD record howto?

Mail the author: HOWTO writers are much too smart and forget about
these things.

--
			Jean Francois Martinez

http://www.independence.seul.org