Re: Strategy

> >The question I am asking myself if it we should announce our goals now
> >jointly with the distrib as is, or with th distrib + the X accelerator
> >for the thrilling effect (but problem is that pergaps we play our ace
> >too soon), or if we wait until the verion based on 6.1.
>
>    Announcement should go with the X accelerator, at least.  As for the 6.1,
> how long are we talking?  If it will be ready before Halloween, Why not
> announce it all at once on the 31st?  Good time to tie into the Mickysoft
> documents. :-)  <that was a serious PR tie, by the way>
>
> >By the way would it be better to base upon RedHat or Mandrake 6.1?
>
>    I vote Red Hat.  Mandrake does some drive optimizations that are twitchy.
> We are going for ease of install, not performance.  Mandrake makes that
> trade the other way in several places.

Mandrake's 6.0 hdparms optimizations were made by Bernhard
Rozenkraentz (BeroLInux's author) and (according to what Mandrake's
boss told me) were made without the consent of his supervisor.
Mandrake's boss told me they had been withdrawn from 6.1 and Berhard
left Mandrake (he is now at RedHat subsidiary in germany :-)

However I have seen a trivail program freezing in Mandrake and become
unkillable (not even with -9) and this was the first time I have seen
a such thing in Linux.  and I wonder if that could not be due to some
dubious patch or to the fact the kernel was probably compiled with
PGGC despite kernel people recommendations and the fact it is a lot
greener than plain GCC.

--
			Jean Francois Martinez

http://www.independence.seul.org