Quiet modems (was Re: Analysis of 6.1)

On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, JF Martinez wrote:

> While we are at it I really dislike having the modem beep loudly when
> it connects: if you are using late at night you will awkaan the entire
> household.  Is the parm for silent mode a standard one or does it vary
> on a per model base?  In the first case we could set this up or at
> least allow the user to ask it.

It's in the modem initialisation commands you send using "chat". Can't
remember the codes just now, but I think "M0" might be one of them. "L0"
might be the other. They're standard modem commands as far as I know.

i.e. ATM0^M and so on.

I'll let you know for sure when I get home and can look at my modem config
;)

- Andrew