Re: Summarizing IP logging

--- "Peter K. Lee" <pkl@duke.edu> wrote:

> >  - How much work would it be to build a version of iptraf that just
> >    supports daemon mode/command-line interface (i.e. no curses)?
>
> Yes, and no.  No because its already supported and you don't need to
> build a new version. ;)
>
> below is the snippet of 'iptraf -h' command...

Yes, but looking at the code it appears that the curses libraries
are being called even in daemon mode.  I wonder if there are any
downsides to this (for example, size of application, complexity
of code, possible security issues, etc...).

The "new version" I envision would strip out any unnecessary
dependencies leaving us a lean-and-mean daemon for monitoring
and logging network traffic.

...but maybe I've misread the code.  I admit, I only spent
15 minutes or so glancing over it.

greg_fenton.

=====
Greg Fenton