Re: [kidsgames] Re: sound support for lletters

Paul,

On Fri, 11 Feb 2000, Paul Kienzle wrote:
> Sorry, that should be:
>
>  http://users.powernet.co.uk/kienzle/lletters-0.1.7pak.tar.gz

Hmm.  Couldn't get it to build under glibc2.1.  First off, I had
to do a:

	make distclean

but even this wasn't enough.  in the top level i had to:

	rm -rf .deps

apparently that's a step distclean misses.

If you would do these steps and rebuild the tarball, it will save a few
headaches. :)

Then after running autoconf (just to make sure :) and ./configure, I
encountered this error in when I did the make:

make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/lletters-0.1.7pak'
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -I/usr/X11R6/include
-I/usr/lib/glib/include -I. -DLIBDIR=\"/usr/local/lib\"
-DDATADIR=\"/usr/local/share\"  -g -O2 -c sound.c
sound.c:68: bytesex.h: No such file or directory
make: *** [sound.o] Error 1

The problem seems to be the code lifted from sox (circa 1991!) depends on
some libc5 stuff (specifically it seems bytesex.h isn't in glibc2.1).
Could you please snip this code from a glibc2.1 compatible version of sox
instead?  You can find the source and Debian patches for sox at:

	http://www.debian.org/Packages/frozen/sound/sox.html

I'm sure this version is glibc2.1 compatible, as it is the one that is
installed and working on my system, and lists its dependencies as:

	Depends: libc6 (>= 2.1)

Hopefully it uses #ifdef's so it can be compiled with libc5 as well.
I'd look into this further myself today, except I have my hands full with
getting the debian-kids group started. :)  If you haven't time for this
patch, I'll take another look at it when I have more time (or maybe
someone else on kidsgames could look at it?)

Thanks,
Ben

-