Re: [kidsgames] Generic adventure game engine

Horst H Lindner Jr wrote:

> > But if we hope for creative, non-programmer types to write games
> > for this engine, we'll need some sort of authoring tool like you
> > mention.  I think this will be nearly as important as the
> > engine, although the engine will have to be created first.
> > We've been looking at an application framework built around XML
> > called Entity <http://entity.evilplan.org>.  We haven't had time
> > to go over it in detail, but to me at least it looks very
> > promising as the basis for both the engine and the authoring
> > tool.
>
> What kind of computer systems do you want to run this program on?  I looked
> at the entity web site and looked under the requirements section of the
> application and it only works on linux and unix like operating systems.  Is
> this discussion only for the linux or unix or should it run under the
> Windows 9x -> 2000 environment as well?

We have an experimental port of Entity for Win32 that supports two of
the scripting languages of its Unix parent.  It supports JavaScript, and
TCL. It compiles and runs on 95,98, and NT4.0. I suspect it'll work on
2000 too, I just haven't bothered to test it yet.

As a side note, future plans for entity include a GUI application
development program, built in Entity itself.  It is currently under
construction and available from CVS. Its called StemBuilder. We're also
working on getting the Web site and documentation caught up with our
development efforts.

Then after that we're planning on network functionality, which will
allow separate Entity interpreters to exchange parts of the XML tree.

--
Sincerely, Kirk Ismay
<kirk_ismay@users.sourceforge.net>