Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 07:05:07 GMT
From: owner-kidsgames@smluc.org
To: owner-kidsgames@smluc.org
Subject: BOUNCE kidsgames@smluc.org:    Non-member submission from [Chris Ellec
    <chris@linuxforkids.com>]

Sender: chris@smluc.org
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 23:09:25 -0800
From: Chris Ellec <chris@linuxforkids.com>
To: kidsgames@smluc.org
Subject: Re: [kidsgames] a Mom's eye view

Hello

> The linux games are much much harder.  My husband (Jeff
> Waddell) spends hours trying to download and set-up these
> games for us.  It is a royal pain.  Many times we don't have
> the right library or we need to upgrade.  Some have even
> crashed our system.  We only have a slow old copper phone
> line and all of this takes forever.  Not only that, but we
> only have one phone line so our friends are getting busy
> signals all the time.

That is one of the reason I now have a LinuxForKids CD. I try to put all the
libraries needed for all the titles I have on the CD. I test that by trying
to install the games on a computer with a fresh Linux diribution on it, and
see what is missing.
I am selling the CD for pretty much what it costs me to make it, so I'm not
doing this to make a profit, but to try to answer the point you made about
downloading MB of libraries.
Since I'll probably never have the time to develop my own games  (at least
interesting ones), this is my way of contributing to the effort.

> All of this and my husband is an expert.  You will not make
> it to the main stream this way.  I don't know how it can be
> easier.  I would like to be able to go to a web site and
> play a game (without downloading anything) at least long
> enough to see if it is of interest to our family.

Java is probably the answer to that, but then all you'll be able to play is
probably tic tac toe or something of that level.

I am trying to work on an installer and some sort of automated scripts that
would install everything for you from the CD as needed. (a la Windows) That
would be for a version 2 of the CD, but it is a long ways away ....

Chris