Re: kidproof Local HTML browser (was Re: [kidsgames] BOUNCE kidsgames@smluc.org)

On Sat, 25 Mar 2000, Brian Minton wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Mar 2000, Christopher Sawtell wrote:
>
> > But it's as slow as a wet week!
>
> I've never heard THAT simile before...

Common-place phrase here in New Zealand and also in Australia.

> > IBM's OS/2 browser does _exactly_ what you want when in "Presentation Mode".
> > Menu click to get into the mode and a hot-key to get out of it.
> > ( Conforms to the w3c standards too, something which no other does )
> > Dust off an older PC and put OS/2 on it and let the kids go.
>
> yes, but is there a command line version of the command?  (that is a very
> strangely worded sentence.)

Not sure, but I think so, assuming you mean "Can presentation mode be initiated
at program launch by a command line switch"?

If it's important I can ask a friend who is the OS/2 support king in this town,
he's bound to know.

I cannot try it out conveniently myself any more as I dumped OS/2 off my
machine a couple of years ago.

> > Seeing as IBM is supposed to be supporting Open Source I wonder if they could
> > be persuaded to release the code for this so that it could be ported to Un*x
> > boxes. Listening Big Blue? It's got absolutely no commercial value to you any
> > more, so why not score brownie points by letting the world's children get their
> > first experience of the Internet using it.
>
> well, perhaps we should ask them,

Please do.

> I don't think they read the kids games list traffic :-)

I don't suppose they do, but imho releasing the code would not lose them a
single cent and could well score big brownie points.

--
Sincerely etc.,

 NAME       Christopher Sawtell - iOpen Technologies Ltd.
 CELL PHONE 021 257 4451
 ICQ UIN    45863470
 EMAIL      chris @ iopen . co . nz,  csawtell @ xtra . co . nz
 WWW        http://www.iopen.co.nz
 CNOTES     ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/languages/C/tutorials/sawtell_C.tar.gz

 -->> Please refrain from using HTML or WORD attachments in e-mails to me <<--

-
kidsgames@smluc.org  -- To get off this list send "unsubscribe kidsgames"
in the body of a message to majordomo@smluc.org