RE: [kidsgames] sending wordbase

Hi Brian,

On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, Brian Thompson wrote:

-->Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 19:36:05 -0500
-->From: Brian Thompson <briandthompson@home.com>
-->To: kidsgames@smluc.org, Steve Baker <sjbaker1@airmail.net>,
     Paul Kienzle <pkienzle@kienzle.powernet.co.uk>,
     Jeff Waddell <jeff@smluc.org>, Doug Loss <dloss@suscom.net>,
     Chris Ellec <chris@linuxforkids.com>
-->Subject: RE: [kidsgames] sending wordbase
-->
-->I have the basics done and I think I am ready to start entering data,

Great!

-->biggest problem is going to be sound support.

You can't store a sound file in the database?

-->  Starbase has image files as a
-->part of its structure, perhaps the sound can be worked in later,

If necessary.

-->  I have
-->word types and paradigms that I think are a good start and I am willing to
-->take any suggestions anyone has.  I think the type/paradigm structure is
-->going to be useful more than I originally thought so please make
-->suggestions.

Do you have this idea more fleshed out, I'm real hazy as to what it is
this structure does, is it like verb, noun, adverb, parts of speech stuff
or is it something else entirely.  You may have covered this before but
I'm still hazy on it...

--> I think the type should be fairly general and directly related
-->to the meanings words can have,

examples please.

--> and paradigms should be related to the ways
-->in which they can be used,

more examples please.

--> such as key in the arts music realm or social
-->home realm,

Define your meaning of REALM here.

-->  this is where I really need suggestions. I have ideas for
-->entry and translation forms that are straight forward enough but if anyone
-->can think of other forms that might be necessary to begin with, I'm sure
-->more things will arise.  I am hoping someone will look into the word
-->databases that are available and find out if it will be possible to merge
-->them into our structure.

I don't think I announced this yet, but I recently discovered
www.nupedia.com with porports to be or WILL be?! (the don't seem to have
any entries yet) THE open source web ENCYCLOPEDIA, it is possible we could
work with them if it's appropriate.

--> I am sorry this is taking me so long but I am at a
-->technical job that requires me to work shift work and it rotates so that I
-->only have one week of each shift, days swings mids a week each thats 7 days
-->and then 2 or 3 days off between each to adjust my schedule.

Apology accepted and work already done APPRECIATED.  I hope to someday use
this resource to build dynamic games.

--> If anybody
-->would like me to send them the wordbase directly I am willing but I don't
-->want to start a seperate project at sourceforge unless its absolutely
-->necessary and I don't think I have permission to up load it to the kidsgames
-->sourceforge.

How do I give you that permission?  hmmm.  You are a developer on the
sourceforge system and assigned to stuff in the kidsgames project and I
think you can upload to the ftp area, if not, tell me and I
will research getting it set up so you can.  We could also put it in cvs,
but I haven't determined how I want the cvs structure handled.
Suggestions on that end are welcome.

--> Jeff if you want to raise the majordomo limit for this I send
-->it when you want me to.
-->

There have been objections to raising the limit so we will avoid that if
we can.  For now I will take the wordbase.sdb that I have (I have no idea
which version it is) and put it in the ftp area at
kidsgames.sourceforge.net (as soon as I figure out why it's denying ME
permission, hmmm) so those with StarOffice (I don't have it) can
play with it.

<snip>

--
Jeff Waddell