[kidsgames] just a quick note to say

I'm still alive.....

Wife had her job position eliminated last month.  A Temporary/with
possible permanent position was available at local ISP/Web Design outfit
for me, so I've been extremely busy transitioning into that.  The pay is
lousy, however it's better than nothing, I get to work with Linux, php
and other cool toys, and sometimes I get to work at home, which is really
nice.  I managed to stay home fulltime with the kids for almost 1 full
year....

The hardware woes just keeping going from bad to worse.... I finally
broke down and put a 10G drive on plastic only to have my nice 16" monitor
burn out (doesn't even power on, apparently blew it's power supply)...
Last night the laptop got dropped and broke the mechanism that let the
display [this is expecially bad because I've been using the laptop as my
workstation, with all the real work being done on the server the 16"
monitor was hooked to] be adjusted so now it's just open or closed,
nothing in between.  The AMAZING thing is that I've been able to continue
to work and do the things I must with what is left working.

Tried freebsd on the windows 3.1 machine only to have it not boot after a
supposedly successful install.  Can't use debian on that box, cause it
gets the irqs all mixed up and resets the pnp cards so that only a hard
reboot will allow the sound card to work again in windows, and while in
Linux the network card (wd8013, well supported card) won't work do to the
irq/pnp initialization mess up.  (I've had suse on there before and had it
work, but that version of suse would not set up X properly).  I'm getting
hooked on debian though, don't know of any system that can be the apt-get
method of installing packages.

Work continues on the several fronts, just very fragmented at the moment,
will probably get worse before better.

Anyway, I'm sure you are all extremely busy and I hope working toward
getting some games for our kids completed.  I do intended to update the
sourceforge site soon, I just don't know when I'll get the next chance.

I would love to hear about how other people are succeeding.

Sincerely

Jeff Waddell

-
kidsgames@smluc.org  -- To get off this list send "unsubscribe kidsgames"