Re: [kidsgames] the webpage

Ok,

I've been out of town over the weekend, and haven't been doing much on
this front lately, however, before i left I had a chance to get into the
following source and here's quick run down.

stickers Paul this thing is GREAT!!!!!!  It needs work, but WOW.... I like
it and my daughter does too :)

	things to do with it (besides what Paul already has on his todo
		list :).

		From Clare: the barn scene needs a feed trough as well as
			a water trough.  (optional) Sounds to go with the
			stickers, and sound help to activate when hovering
			over a button.
			The fish need to have an ocean background instead
			of the grass one they have now :)

		From me:  needs a way to save the drawing (seems to do
				this sort of automatically but segfaults if
				I pick what it seems to have
				saved, perhaps an oversite on my part?)

			  needs a way to print, I don't like wasting
				trees, but showing off their work it important
				to kids, perhaps a virtual
				fridge to pin it to.... ;)  we mentioned
				the online gallery before it would be good
				to integrate that capability in
				now I think.

			  would be nice if the objects in panels were more
				obvious (i.e. I didn't know there were
				multiple stickers on one tab for a while)

			  needs to have shapes scene where the images are
				just simple square, circle, rectangle,
				triangle, etc. (i'm working on it,
				I think I can do that...)

			barnyard needs horses and goats, and the chicken
				default size should be smaller ;)

			It would be wonderful to have a scene builder
			application where it would be easy to add the
			base scene and the png
			sticker's to go with it, would a gimp plugin
			be a way to go here, or
			should it be a stand alone type thing?
			I intend to try some real pictures as stickers and
			see how it works.

			Anyway, a big round of applause and thank you to
			Paul and Tanya and their son have made an EXCELLENT
			start.  Get this and start adding to the scenery
				;) or just use what's already there....

greyboard (tcl/tk groupware blackboard) This
thing is really pretty cool
and could make for some interesting collaborative sessions, I recommend
getting it and taking a look if you have tcl/tk available to you.
probably found on freshmeat.net, it's considered beta by the author and
doesn't have url in the README.....

kugel-2.0 another tcl/tk program and requires perl.  This one is a game
and I really like it.  It's hard to describe, but it is fun and definately
for the mathematically inclined.  It also has several gif files we may
want to snag including several penguin's that are country flags, we will
probably want to change them into .png's but looks like ESR came up with
gif2png (got it today) just for that purpose :)  I highly recommend trying
this one out.  again probably found on freshmeat.net... no url in this
README either.  I'll have to be more careful to document where I'm getting
this stuff from....

fkiss028 is a paper dolls program that is interesting and may
prove useful as well.  It gives one japanese anime girl with
several outfits, seems to be a specification for the data files
to go with it.  Someone else please try this out and tell me
what you think.

gtkeyboard
is a gtk app that gives a point and click keyboard (useful for
bad typists and perhaps the young one's with too small hands).  It's got
several bugs as of yet, but may be of use to use.  Recommend that someone
besides me evaluate it for usefulness. url:
http://www.gnu.org/software/gtkeyboard/gtkeyboard.html

drgeo is from our own seul collection.  I got it to compile and run, and
got it to draw semi circles and and other circular arcs (without reading
any documentation) but didn't get much farther than that.  It perhaps
needs a tutorial mode (maybe I just missed it) so that the 7-10 year olds
that will have trouble with documenation can get going and not get
discouraged.....  will test on my nieces and nephews when the chance
arrises.....

dvorak7min is a dvorak typing tutor, might be able to adapt it to foreign
language keyboards, nice little console application.

gfortune which is replacement for the bsd fortune, although I'm not sure
it's of any use I did get it to compile and "work".  It doesn't implement
the fortune building tools (strfile I think it's called so that might be
a problem, although I think there is a bsd strfile which should prove
handy if we decide to use fortune still databases for any of our games).

phorum is a web forum for talking about anything we may use it to
supplement the mailing list.

percy is a little talking penguin, which I can run and he tells me to be
quiet for a second and then prints 128 in the xterm it was started from
for a long time, I think that 1) running it remote is perhaps not the best
choice ;) and 2) maybe I need a microphone on that box?....

jitterbug is a bug tracking system we may implement when we have bugs to
track... ;)

I was unable to compile or seg fault when trying to run the following, so
usefulness is unknown

hyperplay-1.3.3
ldescent-0.0.20
linux-heretic-1.0
lmemory-0.2
mage-0.1.3
matritsa-0.1.0

boy was that long.....

Hope other's are searching and thinking about the educational sdk and the
kids game builder and will soon share their thoughts.... :)

Sincerely

Jeff Waddell
jeff@smluc.org

-