[kidsgames] OT: Seeing the insides of a commercial game.

I just completed participating in LokiHack '99
(http://www.lokigames.com/hack/), where a handful
of developers were given the chance to hack on the
code to Civilation:Call to Power.

Loki Games ported this app from windows, and it's
interesting to see how they did this. They used
Simple DirectMedia Layer (http://www.devolution.com/~slouken/SDL/),
and have a few replacements for win32 calls.

CivCTP code was interesting to study, and gave me quite a few
ideas for a generic simulation engine. I think something
like this would be useful even in educational games.
If it could be completely data driven, it might provide
a way for non-programmers to build content.

Thomas (in need of sleep...)
-
kidgames@smluc.org  -- To get off this list send "unsubscribe" in the
body of a message to majordomo@smluc.org