Re: [kidsgames] word familiarity

Hi Paul,

On Thu, 7 Oct 1999, Paul Kienzle wrote:

>           The MRC Psycholinguistic Database: Machine Usable Dictionary
>           and  utility  programs  are  available for research purposes
>           from the Oxford Text Archive as item 1054 on their list at a
>           nominal fee to cover handling costs. Their address is:
>
>           Oxford Text Archive
>           Oxford University Computing Services,
>           13 Banbury Road,
>           Oxford OX2 6NN
>           U.K.
>
>           Tel: Oxford (01865) 273238
>
> So probably not usable without a lot of hassle.

Too bad...

>  As for the other, almost
> certainly not, but I will ask.

Thank you for asking.  Some times we are suprised by what we can get :)

>  There must surely be direct studies of
> age appropriateness in words.  For one thing, I can think of numerous
> extremely familiar four letter words which are neither appropriate, nor
> familiar (hopefully) to my three-year-old.

Well I've found YAWL (Yet another word list) that is a word gamers
dictionary (it is Public Domain and therefore useable).  I think we
should all grab it and mark it up as best we can for age appropriateness
and see where it takes us. (get it here
http://members.tripod.com/~the_grendel/yawl-0.1.tar.gz).  Any suggestions
on how to mark it up/divide it up?

Might be something to get into cvs, alas cvs has not come through yet.

<snip>

Jeff Waddell
jeff@smluc.org

-