Re: Kids Game Builder version 0.0.1

Quoting Doug Loss <dloss@csrlink.net>:

> Should we be trying to create the "engine" for all these games from
> scratch?
> I know there are a few GPL programs out there that are designed for the
> creation of graphical adventure games.  We ought to investigate those and
> see
> if any are close enough to what we're looking for to give us a substantial
> head start if we modify them rather than duplicating work that's already
> been
> done.

Seems as good a time as any for me to jump in.  I gotta agree here.  The whole
point of the GPL is to make available a huge body of previous work without
having to be directly concerned with stepping on any patents or copyrights.
What we should probably be doing at this point is deciding exactly what the goal
of this project is (in technical terms) and then survey available GPL'ed
software to see what can be used.

> I'm not much of a computer gamer myself; I come more from the network
> infrastructure end of the computer world.

My background is in general development, particularly applications work.  I
don't have children myself, but I like the idea of contributing to a project
that might actually educate kids (as compared to the educational abyss the
United States seems to be sliding into..) rather than just making them better
consumers.

In that spirit I guess I have a non-technical question.  What do we want to use
as authoritative sources of information?  Generally math and the sciences are no
problem, because those subjects naturally scale with difficulty.  History
strikes me as a little foggier of a subject - a lot of what I was taught in
school about history turned out not to be true, but only convenient myth.  (Or
as one of my teachers told me once, "it's easier to teach this way")  My
background isn't in education.  How do we want to proceed about this?