[Libevent-users] Re: ANN: Appnexus is sponsoring Libevent in 2012

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 10:18 PM, Nick Mathewson <nickm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 11:58 PM, Nick Mathewson <nickm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  [...]
>>        I'm thinking of offering a $500-$1000 or so apiece for a few
>> tasks that have been annoying the community for a while, and which
>> require either time or expertise that I don't have.  I've got a few
>> ideas (notably IOCP issues, better benchmarking, the evhttp->libevhtp
>> translition, pluggable dns backends, smarter multithreading), but I
>> want to hear your ideas too.  Please send them to me **OFF LIST**, and
>> I'll summarize what people are thinking late next week.
>
> Ow!  I sure dropped the ball following up on this one!  Better late than never.
>
> I received exactly three suggestions by email:
>    * Better stability for filtering and openssl-based bufferevents.
>    * UDP support
>    * Pluggable DNS backends
>
> I'm also interested in the items I listed above.

So now the complete list is:
   * Migrating evhttp -> libevhtp
   * Pluggable DNS backends
   * Better benchmarking
   * IOCP robustness
   * Smarter multithreading.
   * Better stability for filtering and openssl-based bufferevents.
   * Better support for rate-limiting openssl bufferevents.
   * UDP support
   * Pluggable DNS backends

Some of these I could do myself; some I can't. I would be shocked to
see all of them get done in 0.2.4, or even half of them.

So here's my plan.  I'm soliciting proposals (send via personal email
please) from people who'd be interested in getting some money for
doing one of these.  The requirements would include that the code be
accepted into Libevent; that all the work be done this year; that the
code be suitably licensed for inclusion in Libevent; and so on.
They're all going to require some design discussion too.

So if you've been thinking of working on one of these things, but
haven't had time to get around to it, please take this as a good
opportunity to get a little
extra cash. As discussed previously, I can probably pay enough to make
it more fun, but I probably can't cover competitive consulting rates,
especially for the bigger tasks.

If you've got any questions, just drop me a line, or stop by the
#libevent channel on irc.oftc.net.

As a fall-back plan: if I don't get enough proposals, I'm planning to
just wait for the end of the year and randomly offer some of the cash
to whoever wrote my favorite (merged) Libevent patches or code in the
last half of 2012.

 [...]
> Hm. How to stop myself from dropping the ball again?  Ah, here we go:
> "If I have not announced some kind of plan by Wednesday, I will upload
> a video of myself performing 'I'm a little teapot'."

Short and stout though I may be, this mail has gone out on time, and
so I am not yet a little teapot.

cheers,
--
Nick