[Libevent-users] evhttp and TLS hostname validation

I've been writing an https client using OpenSSL and libevent 2.1.2, using this example as a basis:

http://archives.seul.org/libevent/users/Mar-2012/msg00014.html

and it's mostly doing what I want now. However, one thing I still need to do is check that the certificate has the correct hostname. I'd like to use this code to do it:

https://github.com/iSECPartners/ssl-conservatory

However, it's not clear to me how to work the validation function (validate_hostname) into evhttp's control flow. It seems that I would need to call validate_hostname after the TLS handshake occurs, but before evhttp starts transferring data. But, I don't know how to get evhttp to hand over control to me at that time, so I can call validate_hostname.

How have other people using https with evhttp solved this problem? Is there a better example that I should look at, rather than the one from March on the mailing list?

Thanks,

--Patrick