Re: [Libevent-users] libevent-config script?

Kevin wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 5:54 AM, Harlan Stenn <stenn@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > A number of different packages will install foo-config in the PATH to
> > make it easy to figure out if the package installed and what options
> > should be used.
> >
> > Anyway, I was wondering if libevent could install something similar.
> >
> > I'm looking for path information (include and library) and any needed
> > CPP, library, etc. flags.
>
> libevent provides pkg-config files that should do the same as these helper
> programs.  You can run shell program
> 'PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/foo/libevent/lib/pkgconfig/ pkg-config' to get the
> information you desire on stdout.

But that (mechanism) assumes you know where libevent was installed
(which is a local policy choice).

So if the answer is "Let's produce a libevent-config program that is a
1-liner that does this" then that may be an OK answer.  It would require
pkg-config to be installed though, and I'm interested in this capabilty
for *portability*, and making folks install even more software is not
the way I'd like to see this evolve.

> pkg-config also has nice Autoconf macros.

I don't know exactly what you mean by that, but it's where I was gonna
go next, as I also need autoconf macros to do some things with libevent
(like see if a local version exists, and is at a suitable version level.
If so, we can use the existing, installed libevent.  Otherwise, we
should configure, build, *possibly* install, but link against, libevents
that is included in the "parent" package).