[Libevent-users] How to interpret paramters to timeout callback?

I have a persistent timer. When its callback is invoked, I log the following:

timeout_cb: socket: -1; what: BEV_EVENT_READING; arg: 0x0x7362e0

Is a socket of -1 expected? If so, what is the purpose of the socket?

Why is BEV_EVENT_READING set? Shouldn't a timer set a
BEV_EVENT_TIMEOUT? Can I expect a BEV_EVENT_WRITING too?