Re: [Libevent-users] libevent-2.0 and openssl filter

On Tue, Nov 03, 2009 at 10:28:39PM +0200, tuna@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have read that one of your planned feature for libevent-2.0 is about
> to let the possibility to implement openssl over bufferents.
> (http://www.mail-archive.com/libevent-users@xxxxxxxxxx/msg01494.html
> part 5.4)
>
> Will it give possibility for developpers to use OpenSSL's BIO API
> through libevent bufferevents? (keeping ease of use given by BIOs +
> optimized way of handling I/O in libevent)

Right now the bufferevent_openssl module has a BIO implementation that
can direct IO through a bufferevent.  The BIO itself isn't isn't
exposed as part of the public interface right now; should it be?

(This code is in svn trunk, and will be in 2.0.3-alpha, which I hope
will come out this month.)

> I am going to extend one code to support ciphering through OpenSSL (not
> only SSL, but symmetric encryption and so on). I am currently using
> stable release of libevent to handle I/O. Does it worth waiting a bit
> for such feature, about OpenSSL, in version 2.0 or not? At this stage,
> adding ciphering capabilities to my code - which uses bufferevent -
> would mean to do that with OpenSSL's EVP API. Though I guess BIO would
> be best. At least these are my assumptions. Or am I just out of
> scope?

If all you want is an SSL-encrypted connection, and you're using
bufferevents, I'd suggest the bufferevent_openssl logic in svn trunk.
It presents the same interface as a regular socket bufferevent, but it
does uses openssl to do SSL (either over a socket directly, or over
another bufferevent).

[Also, please remember that this code isn't even alpha-level: it's
development code in a subversion repository.  It works okay for me and
passes its unit tests, but please be ready to report any bugs you
find.]

hth,
--
Nick