[Libevent-users] ANN: Libevent 2.0.8-rc is released

Hello again!

Thanks to many people's hard work, Libevent 2.0 has now had its third
release candidate.  You can download it from the Sourceforge site at:

 https://sourceforge.net/projects/levent/files/libevent/libevent-2.0/libevent-2.0.8-rc.tar.gz/download

There's also a pgp signature of it (by me) there, at:

 https://sourceforge.net/projects/levent/files/libevent/libevent-2.0/libevent-2.0.8-rc.tar.gz.asc/download

Don't forget to validate the signature.   The complete list of changes
is available in the ChangeLog file, included with the distribution.

Niels will upload this to monkey.org when he can; he's been super-busy
with his work lately, which is why I've been doing the "lead
developer" stuff these days.

*** What's new in Libevent 2.0.8-rc

Thanks to everybody who reported and fixed bugs in Libevent 2.0.7-rc,
Libevent 2.0.8-rc should be much more stable and portable, especially
for people using listeners, bufferevent filters, threads, signals,
rate-limiting, and SSL.

For a complete list of changes, just see the ChangeLog included with
the source distribution.

*** Fun facts about Libevent 2.0.8-rc:

This release changes fewer lines than any other in the 2.0 series.
This might be because we are approaching stability!  It might also be
because I was hosed with work in September.  But let's hope that
stability is the answer.

2.0.8-rc: 54 files changed, 981 insertions(+), 343 deletions(-)
2.0.7-rc: 61 files changed, 2459 insertions(+), 685 deletions(-)
2.0.6-rc: 104 files changed, 1749 insertions(+), 1192 deletions(-)
2.0.5-beta: 122 files changed, 3283 insertions(+), 1194 deletions(-)
2.0.4-alpha: 122 files changed, 8112 insertions(+), 4190 deletions(-)
2.0.3-alpha: 98 files changed, 10131 insertions(+), 2213 deletions(-)
2.0.2-alpha: 90 files changed, 5677 insertions(+), 1619 deletions(-)
2.0.1-alpha: 113 files changed, 23909 insertions(+), 7670 deletions(-)

Unit test coverage (by line) is up a fourth of a percent.  Ho-hum,
still not at 80%.  Also, for the first time this release, I'm tracking
branch coverage.  That's at 69.92% according to gcov.  More tests
still needed.

Libevent 2.0 is *still* in feature-freeze (we won't add any more
features to it), hack-freeze (no clever backend rewrites,
refactorings, or major performance hacks), and API freeze (all code
written to work with the documented APIs of Libevent 2.0.5-beta should
continue to work with future versions of Libevent).  We might change
our minds about any of the above if there turn out to be exceptionally
good reasons to do so; this is an aspiration, not a promise. ;)

Please upload bug reports and patches to the sourceforge site at
https://sourceforge.net/projects/levent/ .  Feature requests and
non-bugfix enhancements will be acknowledged but politely deferred
till we fork Libevent 2.0 into a stable maintenance branch and start
development on 2.1.  I'm hoping to do that around 2.0.9-(rc/stable),
which I hope to have our in a month or so.

I'm going to try to get more http bugfixes in over the next month.  My
next mail will be about how to make sure your favorite http bug is one
of the ones that gets attention.

*** Acknowledgements

Many thanks to everybody who contributed code, suggestions, or bug
reports to this release, including but absolutely not limited to
Christopher Davis, Jason Toffaletti, Michael Herf, Ralph Castain,
Sebastian Hahn, and Simon Perreault.

eventfully yrs,
--
Nick Mathewson