Re: Terrain Rendering. was: Re: Grabbing the pointer with OpenGL

Mads Bondo Dydensborg wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Apr 2001, Christian Reiniger wrote:
>
> > Portals are useless for terrain, right.
> > What about using a working, optimized engine btw? CrystalSpace integrates
> > the ddg engine (roam type)
>
> For this project, I am taking a "doing it myself" attitude. This will not
> produce optimal results, and I will be wasting a lot of time, but I will
> allow me to learn a lot.
>
> btw: Does the CrystalSpace engine handle terrain that changes a lot?

No not yet. I'm working on a new terrain plugin. At this moment this is mostly static
(I have rather heave precomputations for LOD). But maybe it is possible to extend
this to use more dynamic terrain. The engine is already using a function to get the
height at each point.

Greetings,

Jorrit.Tyberghein@uz.kuleuven.ac.be, University Hospitals KU Leuven BELGIUM

What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today,
is: "Why is it so dark in here?"
        -- (Terry Pratchett, Pyramids)