Re: Overlays

Hi,

there are a plenty of docs out there about virtual memory and such
things...
http://sophia.jpte.hu/linux/tlk/
especially http://sophia.jpte.hu/linux/tlk/node26.html could be of
interest to you. There you can find some information on the linux kernel
memory management.
I think it quite funny, that the first thing, your application does on
startup, is pagefaulting some times... :)

Greetings
  Marcus

Am Son, 2002-04-28 um 14.10 schrieb Al Riddoch:
> On Sun, Apr 28, 2002 at 02:56:54PM +0200, Francesco Orsenigo wrote:
> > How can I control which parts of my code are loaded in memory?
> > In other terms, when the program needs to call a function (or a global
> > variable?) this function is loaded with the all the symbols (functions and
> > gvars) in the entire module (in my case, the .c file?) even if i don't need
> > them?
> >
> > I'm splitting my program into many of .c files, so that functions that are
> > used in a particular situations are grouped, kept apart from functions that
> > must be used in other situations and can be unloaded...
> >

> When you build your program, the concept of modules as .c or .o files
> is essentially lost, and all the code is contained in the binary. Code
> in shared libraries you use is handled differently, and for simplicity
> I won't go into that here.
>
> On a modern Unix-like system, when you run the binary, its contents are
> mapped into memory using the virtual memory subsystem. This means that
> the contents of the file are not actually loaded, but a section of
> the systems address space is set aside for your programs code. This
> space is divided into pages, which were 4096 bytes on intel, but may
> be larger on more recent CPUs. When the program needs to call some code,
> the page containing that code is loaded into memory first, on a page
> by page basis.
>
> I hope this gives you enough information to partly understand what goes
> on. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
>
> Al

Dies ist ein digital signierter Nachrichtenteil