X Windows question...

Hello everyone...

I'm new to the mailing list, and still somewhat of a newbie with linux, but I will help where I can...  I'm trying to learn c programming under linux now, I want to program some games as well....

I have a question that's not exactly related to this list:

I have just now re-installed Red Hat Linux 5.1.  I was using linux about 6 months ago, but had to ditch it because of hard disk space...  Now that I have an 11.5gb hard drive, I can put linux back on...

The first time I was working with linux, it didn't take too much time getting it up and running...

Since then I've upgraded my video card to a Diamond Stealth 3D 4000 (it's an AGP card).  It uses the GX/2 chipset and it seem Xconfigurator detects this particular chip.

When I run startx, the screen goes black and the hard drive works for a while, but nothing happens...  Pressing CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE brings me back to the console screen...

I deleted the XF86Config file and replaced it with an existing XF86Config.eg that has a generic video card configuration.

With the generic XF86Config file, running X gives me the grey/pattern background and the X cursor, but nothing else of course....

Pressing CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE exits and returns to the console.  If I run startx again, it complains that there is no screen definition for the Accel driver.

This is where I run into trouble, if I or Xconfigurator adds an Accel section, both X and startx bring up a black screen...

Any suggestions?  Is there any way to force startx to use SVGA or VGA16?

Someone suggested the other day that maybe my window manager was not comming up.  Even so, I should still get a grey/pattern background and an X cursor.  I have switched to another window and did a ps, looks like there are about two fvwm functions running, the xclock and the control panel...

Thanks for any help you can provide....