Re: SDL vs GGI

>> Monitoring a download while coding something else?
Virtual Console

>>Using a debugger to debug a program while it is running without two
monitors or switching
>>virtual console?
emacs+gdb

>>I do with my Window
>> Maker applets (licq for example, ICQ is a very evil thing to use in text
>> mode) and with windows.
Can't comment since I don't use it, but it seems that it could be
implemented using fbcon.

>> But I can understand you, I was like that a while ago. Then, I bought a
>> good 17" monitor (a ViewSonic P775, I recommend it heartily, or its
>> bigger brother, the PT775), and found that X was *good* after all! After
>> I upgraded my S3 ViRGE 2 MB to a Matrox Millenium G200 with 8 MB, I
>> definitely wouldn't go back.
Talk about a coincidence!  I have almost this exact setup.  A 17" ViewSonic
and 8 MB G200.
None of this has made me believe that X was "good", however.  In fact, it
has made me wonder more why I am wasting resources on X instead of giving
them to my apps.

>> Because now we can't without the X layer. Except for a few borderline
>> cases, GGI is either using Svgalib (which freaks me out), fbdev (which
>> is mostly unaccelerated, except for very few video cards) or X (why use
>> GGI then?).
Indeed, lack of acceleration is a weakness of fbdev.  Also, not being a
UNIX "standard" like X.

>> And X applications are better behaved. I just feel that taking over the
>> full screen with the rest of the computer screaming in pain isn't
>> exactly my idea of Unix, which is more of a friendly, resource-sharing,
>> exchange-saavy kind of thing.
This puzzles me.  It is my impression that X is one of the most
mis-behaving apps out there.  About the only times I've had to reboot have
been because of X or an X app.

-Brett