Re: Virtual methods?

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003, Jan Ekholm wrote:

> >I think you are beeing a bit harsh here. Depending on how you approach
> >things, some people (not me) will argue that virtual methods have an
> >overhead. Personally I would never hesitate, but what if you want to call
> >10000 rendering objects pr. frame? Would it be worth the hassle to store a
> >pointer to the functions instead of relying on virtual methods?
>
> Sure, but can you prove the contrary? That open source game developers
> that micromanage optimizations before the game has even been started have
> a chance of actually getting something out? The Linux world has 10000
> games, of which 100 can be considered complete. I've added a few games to
> the 9900 dead ones in my days.

I understand your point completely, and agree. But, I do not think that
was what the original poster had in mind. Rather he was unsure of the
actual cost of using virtual method calls.

At some point in time, I didn't know that sorting your calls to opengl
after texture attributes was a good thing to do. My situation was the
opposite: ignorance about something that actually was quite expensive. I
had read two (bad) books on OpenGL - none of the mentioned that this was a
problem (well, none of them really used textures at all...). Some books
about C++ migth very well mention that there is an overhead in using
virtual methods. Until you figure out that it is neglible, how would you
know?

> Well, do a little test. Create a class hierarchy of som classes classes
> that inherit a common class, maybe a few other ones inheriting those too,
> and time it all. Then redo it using some other way. Should take an hour or
> so to setup, compile, test and draw conclusions.

Again, I agree.

Mads

--
Mads Bondo Dydensborg.                               madsdyd@challenge.dk
Unix is here to stay. The Internet is Unix, all network administrators cut