Re: XF86 and full-screen graphical console apps

----- Original Message -----
From: Pierre Phaneuf <pp@ludusdesign.com>
To: <linuxgames@sunsite.auc.dk>
Sent: Tuesday, January 12, 1999 4:45 PM
Subject: Re: XF86 and full-screen graphical console apps

>Magnus Norddahl wrote:
>
>> Quoting Pierre Phaneuf (pp@ludusdesign.com):
>>
>> > Yes, of course, but unlike svgalib, you'd have hundreds
of well tested
>> > drivers, a lot accelerated and some having full
acceleration. You'd have

>> I'm sorry to say so, but XFree86's acceleration is a bit
of a joke. They do
>> not even have hardware accelerated XCopyImage blits. All
Pixmaps are stored
>> in system memory, _NOT_ taking advantage of your up to 12
mb of ram onboard.
>> No support for simple things such as color keying
(transparency). Using the
>> doublebuffering extension does not give any speed
improvements, etc etc.
>> The only things that's accelerated in XFree86 is lines,
cursors and fonts!
>> Nothing worth yelling "hurra" when trying to get some
speed in games...

>(--) SVGA: s3_virge: Using hardware cursor
>(--) SVGA: Using XAA (XFree86 Acceleration Architecture)
>(--) SVGA: XAA: Solid filled rectangles
>(--) SVGA: XAA: Screen-to-screen copy
>(--) SVGA: XAA: 8x8 pattern fill
>(--) SVGA: XAA: 8x8 color expand pattern fill
>(--) SVGA: XAA: CPU to screen color expansion (bitmap,
TE/NonTE
>imagetext, TE/NonTE polytext)
>(--) SVGA: XAA: Using 8 128x128 areas for pixmap caching
>(--) SVGA: XAA: Caching tiles and non-transparent stipples
>(--) SVGA: XAA: Horizontal and vertical lines and segments
>
>I agree that XFree86 isn't very impressive on many
accounts, I would
>just notice that my S3 ViRGE is NOT ACCELERATED AT ALL with
SVGALib and
>that XFree86 XAA reports solid filled rectangles,
screen-to-screen copy,
>color expansion, pixmap caching and others...
>
>That seems more than sufficient for me, when you take into
account that
>SVGALib has no acceleration whatsoever for my ViRGE.

Wow!  I thought I was one of the last people left who still
has an S3 Virge.
Sucks don't it?