Re: Is random game code relevent to linuxgames?

> > > My feelings on Linux game development and Linux in general are the
> same:
> > > It's all about code.
> >
> > Well, that's a bit naive, because just writing unstructured
> > code, doesn't get very far in its own right.
>
> Well, you're right that it's not how you go about
> writing a killer game.  Of course, we all know that's
> not really the goal of linroids.

No, but even when it comes to making an example game like linroids, you
have to decide in advance how you are going to show the differences
between the various sdks. This of course has also been discussed briefly,
but I just got the impression that it all seemed very ad-hoc.

> > because unless you really have a saying in the linux community, and
> can
> > make vital changes to things like the standard for x servers or
> something
> > like that, gaming on linux has no chance.
>
> Oh, dear!  Magnus has assimilated the rest of the
> ClanLib team.

Well, that's one way of looking at it! :-)

However, I'm not really involved in making clanlib support X, so I just
hear what Magnus tells me, and observes what I can see (performance-wise).
I haven't looked at the X sourcecode, and therefore doesn't know anything
about how it is made internally. What I do know however is that the
performance is inferior to directx, and whether the optimizations can be
made within the current X model, as your other letter suggested, or other
changes will be necessary is largely irrelevant when you just look at how
it performs.

Regards
	Martin Starch - ClanSoft