Re: XF86 and full-screen graphical console apps

Johnny Taporg wrote:

> > So regarding the SUIDness, that would be pretty similar.
>
> ...Unless it were to use a socket-pair or shm trick
> the way X does now.  As long as you don't hit the fb
> directly, you could go without the suid.

A socket pair or using shm is one of the big slowdown in X and also is
one of the things that add quite some complexity (whether pixmaps are in
the client or on the server, transferring them, etc...).

> By the way, I was looking over the xf86 codebase.  As
> of 3.3.3, the X concepts were tied pretty close in
> with the lower level stuff.  Unless that changes in
> 4.0, it would be difficult to split the two.

Maybe at 4.0 then...

--
Pierre Phaneuf
Ludus Design, http://ludusdesign.com/