RE: Debugging GL apps

On 07-Jan-2000 Will Weisser wrote:
> I seem to be having a serious problem...my OpenGL application does completely
> different things under different drivers, and I have no way of debugging or
> knowing why this is.  Basically what I have now is a small demo which gives

it's cuz you're screwing something up. obviously :)

> you
> a camera that can "walk" over terrain, which worked great under the old
> NVidia/glx drivers (I have a TNT2).  Under the just released 3.3.5 drivers
> however, my system locks up solid...I have no idea why.  And it gets even

I doubt it "locks up solid". You may've lost terminal control... did you try
telnetting in? (open a telnet port, then run your program)

> weirder when I try software rendering...the software Mesa implementation
> (which
> runs it at about 1fps) works fine as long as the ground is textured, but as
> soon as I remove the texture it will segfault (in lambda_textured_triangle1
> according to gdb).

I think you're setting texture coordinates with textures disabled... I got this
problem a lot doing some texturing on a project... It makes my sw mesa crash
with the lambda triangle oops. :)

> So the problem is thus: I don't think I'm doing anything too spectacularly
> fancy with OpenGL (most of my code is based on Steve Baker's ac_to_gl
> utility),

yeah, blame steve!

> but I get entirely different responses from different drivers, and I have no
> way of debugging any of them.  Even if I fix this, what happens when my code
> gets released to the 100 other GL implementations out there which I don't
> even
> have access to.  Any tips you guys could provide would be helpful.
>
>  Thanks.
>
>    -W.W.

        -Erik <erik@smluc.org> [http://math.smsu.edu/~br0ke]

The opinions expressed by me are not necessarily opinions. In all
probability, they are random rambling, and to be ignored. Failure to ignore
may result in severe boredom or confusion. Shake well before opening. Keep
Refrigerated.