Re: use the tools

On 12-Jan-2000 Jan Ekholm wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, Erik wrote:
>
>>A couple other tools that I like are efence (helps find things like memory
>>leaks and bad memory accesses), gprof (profiling to find where your programs
>>are spending the most time and where to optimize), and memprof (gtk+ program
>>that profiles and watches for memory leaks).
>
> Does efence work with C++ nowadays, i.e. new/delete? Last time I used it
> (about 4 years ago) it worked very well for C, but didn't do a thing when
> I tried C++. It is a very good product, so it would be really nice if it
> worked ok with C++. The version I have installed (2.1) does not mention
> C++ at least in the man-page...
>
> ---------------------+------------------------------------------------------
>  Jan 'Chakie' Ekholm |    CS at Åbo Akademi University, Turku, Finland
>     Linux Inside     | I'm the blue screen of death, no-one hears you scream

as far as I can tell, it does not. If I recall, the class destructor should be
called when a class falls out of scope, so if your destructors are correct, it
should be automically handled...? I think destructors cascade, too. Pretty much
anything in C that would be malloc'd or freed would be handled by a class in
typical c++.

Looking through a whole bunch of debugging and developing utilities, I found
nothing for c++ memory debugging :/

        -Erik <erik@smluc.org> [http://math.smsu.edu/~br0ke]

The opinions expressed by me are not necessarily opinions. In all
probability, they are random rambling, and to be ignored. Failure to ignore
may result in severe boredom or confusion. Shake well before opening. Keep
Refrigerated.