PLIB error while starting application

I compiled PLIB using gcc-2.96 on RHL7.2.  Then I compiled a sample
program from the PUI programmers guide.  But when I run it, it gives
an error message as follows and quits -

FATAL: puInit called without a valid OpenGL context.

I even compiled plib-examples with the same error coming after running
every example.  I saw the source file pu.cxx which contains puInit().
glXGetCurrentContext() gets called while initialization takes place.
But this is returning NULL and hence the fatal error.  I dont know why
it is returning NULL since I am unaware about GLX Contexts.  Any
solutions or pointers?

Is it mandatory to have hardware acceleration to run programs using
PLIB ?

--
Abhir Joshi
http://education.vsnl.com/abhir/