Re: Game announcements on LGDC

Rob Kaper wrote:

> > >     Well, I have set out to *only* announce games with an open source
> > > available. This is not meant to slight those developers who are working
> > > on
> > >     I am open to comments on the list if anyone thinks we should be
> > doing otherwise. Is it a bad policy?
> > No. It's a good one.
> Plus, and this is a criterium that isn't as easy to judge as the project
> being open source, I think the game should be well-documented, contain
> little or no spaghetti code.. it should have an addd value for other
> developers.
>
> But I'm not sure how this would work.. so for now I think open-source is the
> main criterium. And Linux compatible, of course.

Yes, I knew before about those criteriums (open source and running on
Linux). This was just a shameless plug, just as it was indicated in the
message.

The "little or no spaghetti code" part is what stopped us dead in our
tracks from releasing parts of the software as open source (the
underlying library). We figured that the advantage of open source for us
would be developing a community of developers using our code and
improving/fixing it in various ways, and that to grow such a community,
code in such a sorry state as what we have now would rather steer people
away, so it is better off this way!

--
Pierre Phaneuf
Ludus Design, http://ludusdesign.com/