Re: Threads

> AFAIK linux kernel < 2.2 has no process affinity (and, thereby no
> pthread affinity). I do not think even the newer kernels has it.

Pity, this could be a useful feature to watch out for in forthcoming
kernels, perhaps. At least in linux we can (theoretically) jump in and
code it ourselves :) Maybe could post off some questions to a kernel
hacker somewhere and see if some root level affinity functions would screw
things up or not, presumably you wouldn't want just any process being able
to choose what the cpus should do... although a simple "hinting" mechanism
could work, two threads ask to run on different cpus, and if the system
*has* two cpus and it is feeling generous, it will allow this :)

Michael