RE:Joystick portability questions...

Original Message
From: "Christian Reiniger"<reiniger@rz.uni-wuerzburg.de>
Subject: Re: Joystick portability questions...
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 06:37:52 GMT

>Brad Johnson schrieb:
>>
>> >  Q: Is it possible to connect my old Atari/Commodore/Amiga/console
joystick
>> > or pad that uses a 9-pin D-type cannon connector to the serial port of
my
>> > PC?
>> >  A: Yes, it is possible, but it'll burn your serial port or the pad. It
>> > won't work, of course.
>>
>>         Hmm... why would it burn anything out? Wouldn't it just be an
issue or

>IIRC those joysticks had no fancy electronics inside - just some
>buttons. And if those are connected to the wrong pins you end up
>directly connecting +5V and GND. Which is no good thing. And it canīt be
>checked via software AFAIK ;)
>
>	Christian

maybe not software, but if you use the same sort of technique as with
making homegrown null modem cabels then you could  "switch" the pins, at
wich piont it becomes a matter of writing software, wouldn't it?

(i've made null modem cabels, but with them the devices use the same
voltage, etc. does the pc use 5V or something else?)

http://www.MyOwnEmail.com