Re: autoconf help?

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000, Pierre Phaneuf wrote:

>Christian Reiniger wrote:

>> Interesting indeed. But I wonder why this is the case - make itself doesn't
>> do that much compared to the compiler...
>
>Parse, parse, parse the makefiles! And again! Compile your project with
>"make -d" once and take a look at how many stat() make has to do. And it
>has to do them many times very often, because of the recursive
>invocations.

>Not to mention the time spend going into directories where there is
>nothing to be done (with no less parsing or stat()ing required, of
>course!).

But then, does it matter? When you download something and start to compile
it you don't expect it to finish compiling in 3 seconds, do you? What is
the point if the compilation takes 10 minutes or 13 minutes? You only do
it once. An if you compile an own project I suppose you don't do 'clean'
rebuilds all the time, only when some central API changes or something
similar, maybe once a day.

I rather have many Makefiles, as long as it is clear what happens...